Advanced Prize List
Canning – CLASS K1,K2,K3
Convenors: Leola Hartung (519-343-5141), Donna Turner, Susan Yungblut, Kim Williamson, Sheila Andriessen
Rules: All canning and preserves must be exhibited in clear, sealed, 500ml (or less) size containers. No wax is permitted. Please use an elastic to attach entry tag to the jar. If six (6) or more entries in a class, it will be split and given two 1st, 2nd & 3rd prizes.
Prizes: 1st $4.00 2nd $3.00 3rd $2.00
- Sweet Cherries
- Sour Cherries
- Fruit Cocktail
- Apple Sauce
- Freezer Strawberry Jam, uncooked
- Freezer Raspberry Jam, uncooked
- Freezer Peach Jam, uncooked
- Rhubarb & Pineapple Jam
- Strawberry Jam
- Apple Jam
- Blueberry Jam
- Raspberry Jam
- ‘Carrot Cake’ Jam
- Fruit Jam of your choice not already listed (name the fruits used)
- Grape Jelly
- Red Pepper Jelly
- Pepper Jelly-any flavour (name ingredients)
- Regular Dill Pickles
- Garlic Dill Pickles
- Dill Pickles—sliced & ready for a hamburger
- Bread & Butter pickles
- Beet Relish
- Pickled Beets
- Hotdog/ Hamburger Relish (green)
- Chili Sauce
- Nine-day Sweet Pickles
- Gherkin Sweet Pickles
- Icicle pickles
- Pickled Hot Peppers
- Pickled Beans
- Pickled garlic Scapes
- Tomato Juice
- Canned tomatoes
- Spaghetti sauce
- Salad dressing, cooked
- Pickled Eggs
- BBQ Sauce
Icicle—Long, slender slices of cucumber
Nine day—Whole cucumber, sliced horizontally
Gherkin—A whole tiny cucumber
Dill—Small uniform cucumber
Bernardin 2015 Home Canning Awards :
For recipes and helpful hints on home canning : www.homecannning.ca
All entrants must be made using Bernardin products ie. Mason Jar & Snap lid, Bernardin Jam/ Jelly Pectin, and a Pectin Package. All entries must include the Bernardin package or UPC as proof of purchase. First place winner will have their pictures taken to be submitted to Bernardin.
- Bernardin Best of Show: Based on highest accumulated points in Class K-1
Prize: $30. gift certificate from Bernardin plus Rosette Prize Ribbon
- Bernardin Jam/ Jelly Award: Judging based on appearance, taste, texture and recipe creativity.
Prize: $20 gift certificate from Bernardin plus Rosette Prize Ribbon
- Bernardin ‘Gift Pack Competition’: Judges select winner based on creativity, quality of home canned products, and includes an itemized description/ cost. Jars will not be opened.
The first place winning basket will be retained by the Agriculture Society to be auctioned off on Saturday at 3pm at the fair.
1st $20 gift Bernardin certificate plus Rosette Prize Ribbon from Bernardin — plus $20 cash from the Agriculture Society
2nd $15 donated by Ag Society
3rd $10 donated by Ag Society
- Second highest accumulated points in Class K-1. Prize donated by the convener.
- Third highest accumulated points in Class K-1. Prize donated by the convener
Class K-2 Family Canning:
Rules: All canning and preserves must be exhibited in clear, sealed, 500ml (or less) size containers. No wax is permitted. Please use elastic to attach entry tag to the jar.
Canning & preserves are to be made together as a family activity with both adults & children or grandchildren participating.
Prizes: 1st $4.00 2nd $3.00 3rd $2.00
- Family Favourite Jam-any flavour named fruit
- Family Favourite Sweet Pickle
- Family Favourite Dill Pickle
- Family Favourite Salsa
- Family Favourite Preserve-named
Class K- 3 Home Brewing –Wine/Liqueur/Beer
Rules: All entries must be made by the exhibitor ie not a public business. Kits are acceptable, BUT it must be made at your home. All entries must include two bottles of each, with each entry having a entry tag securely tied to one bottle and matching labels for the pair.
Wine must be presented in 700- 750 ml wine bottles, Liqueurs/ Beer / Mead may be in a smaller bottle.
The first place winner of each class of will be retained by the Palmerston Agriculture Society and auctioned off at 3pm at the ‘Auction of Champions’ on Saturday at the fair, in the Community Centre.
Prizes—1st $12.00 2nd $8.00 3rd $5.00
- Red, dry
- White, dry
- Fruit wine (named)
- Liqueur, any flavor
- Beer –Pale